Senior Writer, Articulate Marketing - Inbound content marketing agency
October 2012 - December 2016
As the first full-time hire in a rapidly-growing marketing agency I learned fast. Alongside my core copywriting duties, I helped shape the culture and direction of Articulate, which now employs 11 people .
- Writing: As my portfolio indicates, I wrote various types of copy including long-form, short-form, editorial, emails, web copy social posts and more.
- Editing: I did a great deal of editing as part of Articulate's 'pair writing' approach. I have edited client copy as well as given extensive feedback and editorial support to my peers and team members.
- Planning: I developed messaging guidelines, tone-of-voice guidelines, personas and campaigns for multiple clients.
- People management: I managed a team of five writers as well as training and mentoring new interns through an induction program that I designed. I regularly contributed to culture and process development, including introducing campaign streams and conventions to help us standardise the way we used our project management tool.
- Account management: I managed several retainer clients, designing campaigns and reporting results. I also managed multiple one-off projects, briefing writers, editing and delivering in scope and on budget. In-house, I managed two company blogs for over three years, creating content calendars, managing freelancers and building traffic from 12,000 monthly visits to 40,000.
Freelance writer - Various
December 2013 - Present
I have undertaken several projects, predominantly music reviews, for mutliple publications and clients, including:
- Music and theatre reviews for Oxford's Daily Info: I have written over 40 reviews for this weekly sheet, most turned around within 12 hours.
- Music reviews for the Oxford Times: I have had reviews published online and in print with the Oxford Times since 2015.
- Creative wordsmithery for Mad River Ltd: I worked on a project for Clipper Teas in 2016, brainstorming copy for free gifts.
Copywriter and digital marketer, Launchpad Recruits - Video recruitment software
May 2012 - October 2012
As LaunchPad Recruits brought its video interviewing technology to market, I initiated its inbound marketing campaign:
- Creating a content calendar
- Researching and writing blog posts
- And developing and implementing a social media strategy
Social Media Manager, The Brightside - Card and gift range
October 2010 - June 2013 (part time)
I created and populated online social media feeds for Rachel Bright (children’s author) and the global Brightside brand, which had sold 3.5 million cards alone, across 5 continents, by 2012.
I also managed a host transfer and shop creation for the Brightside website and developed other new ideas for online marketing, including video promotions.
Additional work experience
Along the way, I've gathered useful admin and customer service experience in both temporary roles and these permanent positions:
- January 2011 – November 2011: Office Manager, Abbeyheath Properties Ltd
- August 2008 – November 2009: Tier 2 Telephone Operator, Community Legal Advice/ BSS
- August 2007 – August 2008: Customer Advisor, Co-operative Insurance Services
Education and Training
MA American Cultural Studies - Distinction
2009 - 2010 The University of Manchester
BA English and American Literature - 2:1
2004 - 2007 The University of Manchester
Gotham Writers Workshop Online Courses
- 2012 - Creative Nonfiction 101
- 2014 - Article Writing
- 2015 - Essay and Opinion Writing
- 2015 - Hit Send: Publishing Short Nonfiction
- Inbound certified
- HubSpot Certified
- Email Marketing Certified